Day 4:
Wonder. How did you cultivate a sense of wonder in your life this year?
My first thought was to say: Running. Oy vey, ALWAYS with the running. I think that came to mind because I started running outside relatively recently, and there is something really quite awesome when you run along side a rabbit, or a butterfly, surrounded by flowers. It’s a beautiful thing.
But here’s my real answer. I cultivated a sense of wonder in my life most especially because of Anne Lamott. I found one of her books for two dollars and devoured it. I had always been a little hesitant of Anne; a single mother with a penchant for showing her lady parts to the neighborhood who supports abortion and loves Jesus? Um…is that even POSSIBLE? Well, yes. Apparently it is. What I found in her writings was someone just as screwed up (if not MORE SO) than I was. She was crazy. Irrational. Overzealous. And I wanted her to be my friend. I bought as many of her other books as quickly as I could, and I ate them up too.
One of the things I love about Anne is that she incorporates poetry and phrases into her stories. Through this I have belatedly been exposed to the poetry of Rumi and Mary Oliver. I found M.O.’s “Evidence” at the library and fell in love. Her poetry made me want to go out walking in the woods behind my house. It made me appreciate that rabbit I ran with for a few moments, or the butterfly who drifted along on my air currents as I ran through the park. She taught me to look at the world around me, to go out and experience it, and to let it soak into my very being. Nature is one of the few places where I feel close to God, and can believe that He loves me and wants good things.
Wonder is hard to maintain, so I enjoy the glimpses and the moments. I bought a Mary Oliver Anthology. I make a point of staring up at the stars and the moon on a clear night. I run outside as often as I can. And I try to remember that God is not only found in autumn days with a cool breeze and a bright blue sky. I remember that all of everything is a wonder.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home